Sunday, 12 April 2009

Further fun with gOS on my EEE

Ok so another day and easter holiday giving me more time to tweak with gOS on my EEE.
As most of the heavy stuff such as the kernels and dist-update was completed I switched focus to some bugs and getting it to look nicer.

Firstly I wanted to make Grub a bit prettier, all these kernels generic and EEE and their recovery modes left a jumbled boot screen rather than a slick looking grub.

I found a tutorial here on creating splash images for Grub and how to add them into the Grub menu.lst file in Ubuntu. A few minutes later with Gimp and I had a good conversion of the default gOS Gnome background into a 14-colour compressed XPM clone.

The image and removing a lot of unwanted menu.lst kernel entries made the boot process a little more tidy and appealing. Some changing around of the Gnome desktop setup and the Google Gadgets/wBar setup is now taking place. I also need to look into a bug where wBar is not transparent when gnome initially starts (I have to right click wBar then it goes transparent).

I dug around and found ~/.wbar contains all entries for my wbar so I can add a few programs to it by hand. Also been looking at the application they use for the web service clicks called 'Prism'
its some sort of embedded control browser used for web services and created by Mozilla Labs.

More information on the bugs soon but heres a link for my gos_splash.xpm.gz if anyone wants it:
Hosted by Mediafire


Update:

Heres a Screenshot of my gOS updated to Ubuntu Intrepid and reverted mostly to the gOS interface.

2 comments:

  1. The way to finding a decent logo configuration organization lies in research and counsel with different website admins you realize who have recently utilized logo configuration administrations.
    logo design service

    ReplyDelete